- Police Department
- Public Info
- Vacation Checks
TAKING A VACATION? DON'T FORGET TO CALL FOR A RESIDENCE CHECK!
One of the many services the Scotts Valley Police Department provides is periodic checks of your residence while you're away. These checks are done on an as time allows basis during daylight hours and are done as a service to the community. As such, we encourage citizens to call for this service and provide us with the following information.
What we will need to know:
- Your Name, Address, and Telephone Number
- When you'll be leaving and returning (1 month maximum) ?
- Will any lights be left on at the residence (timed or otherwise)?
- Will any vehicles be left in the driveway or out front? (Descriptions of vehicles)
- Will any pets be left at the residence and if so, who will be taking care of them?
- Are there any obstructions around the home? (ie. pond, new construction, locked gates or fences, etc.)
- Does your home have an alarm system?
- Are there any weapons in your home?
- Should anyone be at the residence for any reason?
- Will anyone have a key in case of emergency?
- Can we contact you in case of emergency?
Helpful hints to prepare your residence for your vacation:
- Make sure all doors and windows to your residence are secure.
- Stop your mail and newspaper delivery or ask a neighbor to pick them up during your absence.
- Contact trusted neighbors or family and let them know you'll be out of town.
- Secure or disable any firearms/weapons you may have in the residence.
- Prepare an itinerary of your travel for family or neighbors so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
Please call the Scotts Valley Police Department at 831-440-5670 just prior to your departure time so we can obtain the above information needed.